Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I want to goooooo.

My school is hosting a tour of western Europe next Spring. It's a twenty-day trip exploring various locations in France, Italy, Germany, and England with sites significant to the Protestant Reformation. This is the abbreviated itinerary:

1. Depart from Greenville, SC (May 24)
2. Rome
Colosseum, Forum,Mamertine Prison
3. Rome
St. Peter’s, Sistine Chapel, Catacombs
4. Rome, Assisi, Siena, Florence
Basilica of St. Francis, Siena Square
5. Florence
Sites in Florence
6. Florence, Pisa, Lucca, Venice
Leaning Tower
7. Venice
St. Mark’s Basilica, Bridge of Sighs
8. Venice, Verona, Milan
Romeo & Juliet’s balcony
9. Milan, Geneva
Milan Cathedral, The Last Supper
10. Geneva, Zurich
Reformation Monument, Reformation Museum
11. Zurich, Rhine Falls, Constance
Grossmunster Cathedral, Rhine Falls, Site of the Burning of Huss
12. Constance, Meersburg, Rothenburg
Meersburg Castle, Rothenburg
13. Heidelberg, Worms
Heidelberg Castle, Luther Monument
14. Heidelberg, Strasburg,Reims
Boat Tour, Reims Cathedral
15. Reims, Paris
Notre Dame, Louvre
16. Paris
Versailles, Eiffel Tower, Sein Boat Ride
17. Canterbury, London
Canterbury Cathedral, Spurgeon’s Metropolitan Tabernacle
18. London
Westminster Abbey, Tower of London
19. London
Wesley’s Chapel, Bunhill Fields Cemetery
20. London, depart for Greenville, SC (June 12)

Rome. Venice. Paris. Milan. Worms. Well, Worms doesn't have quite the same ring to it, but still... What is it about these place names that conjures up romantic, history-steeped snapshots? Gondola rides and the Eiffel Tower and the Sistine Chapel - art and culture and history and, again, romance. I want so badly to go. I really must get my finances in order and see if such a trip would even be possible.

3 comments:

lizzzknits said...

Sounds like a great itinerary. I have been to several of those places and it is worth going, for sure. Save your pennies. After reading through several blog entries, I see that you have been traveling quite a bit....I am envious, since I have been firmly planted at home since last fall (due to financial issues), but I, too, have the wanderlust you speak of. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

A Homely Heroine said...

Sounds like a very romantic trip, hope you make it. Have you seen the film 'A Room With A View' - there are some great shots of Rome/Florence.

jennie said...

I would like to help! I will be thinking of how we can help!