Sunday, October 5, 2008

I Heart Architectural Lettering!

Somewhere in the middle of this school assignment I got the feeling that I had gone back to kindergarten. Remember those writing pads with newsprint paper and three blue lines for each line of lettering you were supposed to write? Painstakingly lining up the tops and bottoms and middles of each letter as you learned how to form them for the first time? Picking up your pencil after each stroke? Yup. I've been demoted. I thought I was livin' large as a college student and then they tell me that I have to learn to write once again. They have a fancy word for it: architectural lettering. It's the type of lettering they use on floorplans and blueprints and presentation boards to be as legible and neat as possible. My assignment was to write five lines of 1/4" lettering, five lines of 3/16" lettering, ten lines of 1/8" lettering, and ten lines of 1/16" lettering. I had to do two such papers. If you think this sounds easy, try ruling 1/16" wide spaces on a piece of printer paper and writing a word legibly between them. And then doing it again a few hundred times.
It was the most mindless of my homework for last week, though. I'd take more of it every now and then. :-)

4 comments:

Lupie said...

Wow that's nuts!! But it looks like you should get an A+.

Merenwen said...

That sucks... I'd go nuts if I had to do that. Actually, depending on what I take in university... maybe I'll have mindless work to do, too!

Anonymous said...

wow. that's painstaking. i'm glad that i don't have to do that.

heh. which is worse... that, or knitting socks on size 000 needles? ... probably that, kuz at the end of the sock knitting, you have cute and amazing socks.

Fran said...

Right now, I wouldn't mind some mindless work.